Course Overview, Learning Objectives
This course offers an indepth skill-building opportunity for the professional who wants to offer bodywork for babies. Recent trends in lactation and other pediatric practices are recommending bodywork for babies before tongue tie revision and other interventions. We need more bodyworkers who have skills to work with infants. Jonathan Evans, Osteopath, and baby bodyworkers Kate White, MA, BCBMT, RCST®, CEIM, SEP, PPNE, PLC and Christianna Deichmann, RCST®, PPNE, IPPD are going to support your skill-building with 9 live sessions, and two of Jonathan Evans' online courses.
This online course offers two indepth training programs by Jonathan Evans, Osteopath, and 9 live online sessions where you can learn directly from Jonathan, supported by two experienced baby bodyworkers.
The course consists of
- 9 live online sessions
- Treating Babies Online course in the Kindredbe Academy
- Treating the Birth Online course in the Kindredbe Academy
These three different educational offerings will support:
- Comprehensive History taking (including pregnancy and birth).
- Follow Up Visit Communication with parents.
- Full Examination skills - including many specifics like latch and tongue tie.
- Fast track Protocols for History taking and Treatment.
- A Comprehensive library of Examination and Treatment techniques
- Including when and how to treat supine, seated, side lying.
- Specific Treatment Techniques for the major areas of the body, limbs, trunk, spine, neck, cranium.
- How to handle, hold and settle baby.
- How to ensure babies cope with the treatment well.
- What to do if they don't!
- Normal birth process
- What to do when birth gets complicated
- Treating the birth Tier One
- Treatment techniques Tier 2 and 3
- Difficult situations from birth Tier 4
There is even two Fast track anatomy modules for the cranium.
And much more . . .
How does this Training Program work?
It focuses on the practical aspects of handling, examining and treating babies, and it uses videos of babies being treated in clinic in order to show you exactly what to do and when.
It's a very comprehensive course that you will come back to time and time again and will form the solid foundational core of your paediatric training.
It is structured so you can easily work through it from start to finish in your own pace as fast as slow as you like in the comfort of your own home or clinic.
It is segmented into many splinter videos so that you easily find and access a topic if you need to quick review prior to treating.
It's suitable for a wide range of practitioners as it includes a wide range of techniques, and none of these techniques require specific pre course knowledge.If you are used to working 'hands on' with the body then you wll quickly pick up these techniques and examination protocols.
The techniques used are clear and easy to follow but allow for adaptation.
Treating a human being is part art and part science. As a result these technique videos are designed to allow you to follow exactly if you are a beginner practitioner but also designed to allow more experienced practitioners the opportunity to watch, practice, adapt and make these techniques their own.
Session 1: Taking a History and Teaching a Stretch Routine
- Document an initial birth history with parents
- Assess tightness and imbalances in an infant's body
- Complete a stretch series for infants while assessing their needs for bodywork
- Teach parents the stretch course to continue the work at home
Session 2: History About the Birth, Examination Supine (Modules 1, 2 & 3)
- Identify and define the elements of conception, pregnancy, birth, and postbirth history with parents
- Differentiate between first and second history taking, identifying gaps in the first visit with a subsequent follow-up visits with history taking
- Demonstrate skills of examination of infants in preparation for bodywork in the supine position and develop techniques to help settle a distressed baby
- Identify clinical strategies that include the placenta and differentiate specific needs about the infant's neck
Session 3: Working with the Baby Seated, Working with Cranium (Modules 4 &5)
- Complete an assessment and examination of an infant while seated
- Determine strategies of assessment when babies are fussy and/or need special attention (which they often do)
- Identify and list the cranial anatomy of infants
- Demonstrate proficiency when identifying cranial issues related to birth and what to do about them
Session 4: Working with the Latch, Tongue and Lip Ties, Treatment Principles (Module 6)
- Assess the efficiency of an infant's latch while breastfeeding from a bodywork perspective
- Identify proper tongue, mouth, and lip function
- Classify tongue and lip tie issues as part of a bodywork assessment for babies
- Develop a treatment plan from a bodywork perspective for tongue and lip tie for infants
Session 5: Treatment Techniques, Working with the Neck, Cranium and the Mouth (Modules 7, 8 & 9)
- Identify core principles of a treatment plan, including pacing, tempo, ease and pause.
- Develop interpersonal neurobiology and communication skills for settling the nervous system.
- Differentiate and complete treatment approaches for the infant body, including nervous system, lumbar, thoracic, pelvis, vertebrae, shoulder girdle, and whole body unwind.
- Assess specific needs of the infant mouth, neck, and cranium
- Develop treatment plans that include general and specific areas of the infant body that include techniques and principles of fluid drive
Session 6: Treating the Birth
- Categorize birth processes and identify places of birth for families
- Differentiate "normal" birth processes and deduce forces on the baby's body and cranium
- Identify structural and energetic forces at play during birth for babies
- Assess variations of birth processes, from "normal" to "difficult"
Session 7: Treating the Birth, Specific Birth Treatment Techniques
- Recognize and identify "malposition" during birth
- Assess the impact of birth interventions such as forceps, vacuum extraction, and caesarean section
- Complete shock assessments and treatments in the body and cranium
- Develop specific treatment plans include unwinding, umbilical issues, first breath and the midline
Session 8: Treating the Birth: Pulling It All Together
- Develop a four-tier approach to treating birth-related issues in babies
- Analyze, assess, categorize, and treat problems that arise in the four-tier approach
- Create documentation and evaluation tools to measure the impact of treatments
- Develop communication skills for working with parents
Session 9: Advanced Skills, Practicum and Review
- Develop skills for cranial structure, function, and fundamentals for infant work
- Complete case review with students to review practicum for working with infants
- Refine skills based on Modules 1-8 for treating infants with a bodywork approach
- Outline the most common pathways to building a pediatric practice and communication skills with parents and other professionals