Session Four: Developmental Nutrients for the Inner Child
In this session we revise the steps of the Inner Child Journey, taking a deeper look at the purpose of each of the 5 Movements in the Journey:
- ‘Looking Inwards’
- ‘Tracing Back’
- ‘The Wishing Question’
- ‘Healing the Parent’
- ‘Connecting with the child’.
There will be an opportunity for a break-out session, in which you will each pair up with another practitioner and take turns guiding each other through the short-and-light version of the Journey. There will be time for questions.
A final note about how we can bring Inner Child Awareness gracefully into conversations with our clients, even if we don’t take them through a formal Inner Child Journey.
Learning Objectives for Session Four:
- Gaining further competency and experience in the use of the Inner Child Process
- Learning to hold safe and non-intrusive Inner Child aware conversations with clients
- Understanding how the therapist’s curiosity and empathy completes many of the client’s Inner Child needs.
In this session we will look at how to identify, create or provide adult-appropriate Developmental Nutrient-experiences to meet the unresolved Developmental Needs highlighted by the Inner Child Journey. We will also look at how to make the Nutrients stick. We will hear a variety of anecdotal examples, in particular, examples from somatic psychotherapy practices and relationship psychotherapy.
Much of this session will be interactive, therefore some of the content will be generated by the nature of your interests and your questions.
Often, the client gets stuck at the Wishing Question, unable to identify the object of their Developmental Need. We will examine a number of approaches to making safe and unobtrusive suggestions. We will also discuss the role of rehearsal or practice in neuroplasticity: how to reinforce newly-learned interpersonal skills until they become habitual and accessible.
Lastly, we will explore four healing-and-growth accelerators: repetition, focused attention, feeling and novelty.
Learning Objectives for Session Five:
- Gaining fluency in identifying helpful Developmental Nutrients to match Developmental Needs
- Understanding the neuroplasticity involved in learning new habits, skills and behaviours